The Summer School focuses on:
The Current Status of the Global Oil Market and challenges of a post-oil economy.
The Current Status of the Global Oil Market
- Oil as a Limited Natural Resource: Current Status of Global Oil Reserves,
- Changes in Global Energy Consumption: Rising Awareness of Climate Change,
- Structure of Global Oil Market: Power Relations and Lack of Transparency.
Issues faced by Oil Exporters and Importers and the Recent Oil Crisis
- Social Injustice and Disparities in Oil-Exporting Countries,
- Political Struggles for Hegemony in Oil-Exporting Countries: Case Study on Qatar, Iran and Saudi-Arabia,
- Issues of Energy Security in European States as Importing Countries,
- The Causes for the Crisis: Crowding-out Effects and Dutch Disease.
Post-Oil Era: Alternatives to Oil and Ways Forward: Investing in the Future: Alternative Energy Sources
- Critical Discussion and Comparison of Solar, Wind and Water Energy Production,
- Investing in the Future: Education as the Key to Transformation,
- The Role of Good Governance and Transparency in Post-Oil Era.
Approaches of Selected States:
- Between Sustainability and Landgrabbing: Case Study: China
- Preparing for a Post-Oil Society: Becoming the Hub between three Continents: Case Study: Saudi Vision 2030.
Developing a Future Vision:
- Fictional debate between representatives of oil exporting and importing countries in search of a path for the future,
- “The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long before the world runs out of oil”.